Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

Hi my 10yr old son was kicked in the stomach today at school

Hi my 10yr old son was kicked in the stomach today at school he has no visable mark but has just been sick

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I have a few questions. I hope you understand. What were the children doing when he was kicked (gives me an idea about the force of the kick)? Can you tell me more about how your son became sick? When did the kick happen? When did he get sick? Any other symptoms not mentioned, such as abdominal bruising or distention? Any other health issues? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The kick was done by a child who practices Karate. They were fighting. He was sat down and said his mouth got watery then went to the toilet and emptied his stomach. The kick happened about 4pm and he got sick about 7.30. He has no other symptoms no bruising and his stomach apears normal.

Thank you for responding to the questions. At this point, since there was a delay between the injury and the episode of sickness, I would have to recommend consulting his pediatric provider. I know that the "go to the provider" response is not a popular response, but I'll explain why I would recommend this approach. Kicking, particularly karate, can be quite forceful. When there is forceful trauma, there is not always obvious injury, such as bruising. However, there is a risk of some internal injury, even without any external indications. Since he became ill a few hours after the trauma, there would be some concern for some underlying issue, such as internal trauma, which can become worse over a number of hours. Now, with this being said, he may be fine and just need to be monitored; however, I would recommend, at a minimum, an abdominal evaluation by his provider. An abdominal assessment really is a specialized skill. I would have to recommend the assessment just to ensure that there is nothing more serious going on. Again, he doesn't necessarily have an internal injury, but there is enough concern, particularly given the history of trauma, to warrant a provider evaluation. I hope this helps to explain. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa