Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I have a so called Rash on the back of my head and neck. One

I have a so called Rash on the back of my head and neck. One spot is about the size of 2 quarters and some of that part is actually swollen. The rest of the spots (around 10) are about pea sized and are not swollen at all. This problem has been around for about 3 months or so. I thought is was from shaving my head and didn't think anything of it. I have been shaving my head for about 10 yrs now. The so called Rash does not itch, does not hurt, no flaky skin, nothing. It is just there an bugging me big time. I tried psoriasis gel (due to past stuff) and cortisone cream with no affects at all. I went to minute clinic and they said it was a fungal rash and I have been using clotrimazole cream for about 2 weeks now and it still looks exactly the same. The swelling in the one part seems like it might have gone down maybe a little. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Could you please tell me if the rash has pimples? or is it all just flat? What color is the rash? If there is redness, is it present more towards the outside of the spots and normal looking skin in the middle of the spot?

Also, you can post a picture for me to look at, is there a way you can take a picture and download it for me?

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are no pimples at all. The rash is flat and that is what the Dr. at the minute clinic said. But he didn't seem interested when I kept telling him that the one part is swollen. All the spots are redish color. The big spot actually looks like a birthmark to me. Kinda like a swollen half moon shape. All the spots are the same redness throughout. As far as I can tell all the skin looks normal to me. The smaller spots are scattered around. The part that is swollen is the size of a quarter or bigger but the big red spot doesn't cover all of the swollen part. Confusing. The swollen part is starting to scare me and nothing is working. I have read that this cream can take up to 4 weeks but I would think I would see some difference within 2 weeks. Always been healthy. No Allergies. Thankyou. Steve
graphic
I have written a long answer to you, but the computer shut down on me and erased my whole message. I am so sorry. I am rewriting it right now but wanted to know why it is taking so long.

Ok, I will try typing again. My computer gives up on me quite often...I think its time to replace it!

Looking at your picture, it does not look like you have a fungal infection. Below is a link to what a fungal infection looks like. Usually, if there is a fungal infection in the scalp, there are patches of hair loss with it. On your picture there does not appear to be any hairloss.

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/Hardin/MD/pictures22/cdc/PHIL_2938_lores.jpg

You have a rash which is very common. It is really not even a rash, more like skin discoloration. We see this more often on men who shave or who have their hair cut very short. In this condition, just as you describe, there is no itching, pain, scaling or any kind of feeling of the rash. It is not cause by a bacteria infection (otherwise you would have pimples), not caused by inflammation (otherwise you would have scaling and itching) and should not be caused by fungus (fungal infections you can feel with your finger, there is an elevation of the skin in the fungus infection, and there is usually itching present).

What I would suggest is that you dont shave for a couple of weeks. Also, you can use Hydrocortisone cream which you used before. I am not sure how often and how long you have used it, but it is recommended to be applied twice daily (small amount). You may find that it is too greasy to apply cream into the scalp so you might talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for a foam or gel.

Also, I will be working with a dermatologist on Wednesday and will ask him for an opinion. If he gives me some other options for you, I will be make sure to get back to you.

Again, my apology for such a long time in answering you.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you need any clarification or have any additional questions, please let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please click the green "ACCEPT" button, otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get compensated for my work.

Best wishes,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss