Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

bussing in ear

bussing in ear

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a few questions. How long have you had this problem? Is it constant or intermittent? Is it a high or low pitch sound? Any other associated symptoms, such as difficulty hearing or dizziness? What medications, including over the counter, do you take? How much and how often? Have you been evaluated by a provider? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it happens at evening,i donot notice in day.i had a flu 2 mt.,strep thrort, 2 eye infections,ulser in mouth,so i was on a lot of penicillan.then this started.it driving me crasy.it a low buss comes and goes

Hello;

Thank you for responding to these questions. There are many different things that can cause a buzzing in the ear. When someone presents with a "buzzing" complaint, certain things are considered, such as inner ear problems (like infection or congestion), drug toxicity, and neurological issues. At this point, given your recent history, I suspect this may be due to an inner ear disorder. This would be the most probably. Ear infections can actually be asymptomatic or have unusual presentation, such as buzzing rather than pain. I would recommend visiting with your provider. He/she needs to take a look at your ear. If there is indeed an identifiable problem, then this can likely be treated and the buzzing may resolve. In addition, even if there isn't an identifiable cause, you need to be evaluated, since other underlying issues, such as neurological problems, should be ruled out. I know the "go to your provider" response is not a popular response; however, I hope you understand why I would suggest it. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa