Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

i have a reoccurring rash on my inner thigh. It shows up about

i have a reoccurring rash on my inner thigh. It shows up about twice a year and lasts for about a week and then goes away. It always starts out the same. my outer part of my thigh gets sensitive to the touch a few days before. then I get a red swollen bump on my inner thigh always in the same place that is hot. Then a few days after that I get these little white but almost clear bumps that get bigger in a few days. the rash is really painful to the touch and swollen. there is some discharge from these bumps because i put a bandade over it and there is a little yellow liquid on it by the end of the day. Then the rash scabs away bump by bump and it is gone. I did get diagnosed with herpes many years ago and im wondering if this is connected
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Have you had any recurrence of the herpes outbreaks since the diagnosis?
Was the herpes diagnosed in the genital area or on the lips?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
genital area. I think I have had a few outbreaks but Im not sure because I never went to the doctor because they were so minor
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

To be honest with you, it does sound like the recurrent rash you are getting on your thigh is herpes. Herpes can cause tingling or sensitivity prior to an outbreak.

The outbreak itself usually appears blister-like (clear, fluid filled bumps).

Less likely would be that you are having a recurrent outbreak of shingles. This causes a rash that is usually hard to distinguish from herpes but it is very uncommon for it to recur in the same area multiple times, especially in someone your age.

I would have your doctor examine the rash next time you develop it. Valtrex, an antiviral pill, will help to lessen the length of time of the outbreak. You can begin taking it as soon as the sensitivity on the outer thigh is felt.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States