Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have had a marsupialization after diagnosis of a batholin

I have had a marsupialization after diagnosis of a batholin cyst/abcess (which grew to the size of a golf ball and got to the point where it caused lots of pain and oedema.) Emergency surgery was done (once it was clear the thing wasn't going to rupture on it's own and despite antibiotic therapy) and marsupialization of the cyst was the procedure done (which i understand to be they cut a slit in the wall of the cyst, drained it, and held the cut open with stitches to create a "pouch" opening... This is to continue the drainage of the cyst.
My questions are:

1) when do the dissolvable stiches dissolve? 2 weeks post op and i can still feel and see the "knotted ends" of the stiches. I understand it can take some time, but how long roughly?

2) the "slit" made in the operation (in the cyst wall to drain the cyst) looks like a 4cm gash/wound at present inside my left labia wall.....will this heal once the stitches have dissolved? it is distressing me as I feel i will have a permanent disfigurement down there!

3) does the "slit" have to be closed over before intercourse/ use of tampons? what is the expected healing time for the pouch to close over (is it related to when the stitches dissolve?)

4) given the batholin gland was "blocked" and therefore couldnt drain and this then lead to the infection,does the operation/drainage that was done "unblock" the gland so that the gland can continue to secrete fluids normally in the future??

Thanks for your help,
Anxious Patient!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

The absorbable sutures dissolve in three weeks (catgut) to six weeks (vicryl), depending on which sutures were employed.

The slit will gradually collapse and contract and is likely to completely obliterate. So there would not be any disfigurement.

The slit in all likelihood close on its own (spontaneously) and there should not be any additional procedure. This can take up to 4-6 weeks. This is unrelated to the stitches.

There are additional Bartholin gland which will keep on secreting fluid in future.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt relpy.... I feel fairly satisfied with the response....

You mentioned the "slit" will heal on it's own in time in around 6 weeks(which is relieving).....but when closed over, should that same bartholin gland be functional? If it remains blocked (the very reason for the procedure), does that mean I am prone to this happening again?.....can anything be done to prevent it?

Also, can muscle trauma to the area or very tight underwear lead to blocked bartholin glands? Im trying to work out how i got this to begin with (and coincidentally both the abovementioned happened the day before i woke up with the inflammed gland)

Also, is there anything I should be taking to assist the healing process (i.e zinc, silica, vit c?)

Thanks in advance.....

You are most welcome.

That Bartholin gland ballooned up due to the pent up secretion because of the blocking of its duct. That gland wall is opened up and marsupilized, so that will not secrete any further secretions and will not get blocked up or get enlarged.

Muscle trauma or tight underwear are usually not related to it and these glands can block without any reason (termed as idiopathic or unknown reason).

Multivitamins (over the counter products) can be taken for facilitating the healing.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok great.... sorry one last question.......

just just to clarify.....so the gland wall is "opened up"......but you said this marsupialized opening (about 4cm long in my case) will close over after 4-6 weeks?

SO if this is the case, once the slit/opening has healed and closed over, the gland does NOT resume working as per normal.....? is this correct? would I have to rely on the right bartholin glad for fluid secretion/lubrication?

or is there a second, smaller hole down there for ongoing fluid secretion that perhaps i am not seeing (i am only seeing the large 4cm slit at the moment....)

Confused slightly. Sorry.

Yes, the other gland would keep on working. This gland becomes non functional due to the procedure. And the wall (which secreted the fluid) will close in 4-6 weeks by fibrosis (shrinking). This is slightly technical. What you have to understand is that everything would be normal in 4-6 weeks and there would not be any residual problem or abnormality.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine