Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

This past Wednesday I had my gallbladder removed (one very

This past Wednesday I had my gallbladder removed (one very large stone). Since then, I have a constant pain, moderate pain, to the left of my belly button - just a little higher than that area. I also have pain radiating to my back. I am passing gas, having bowel movements and can tell the difference between gas pains and this. It hurts to lay on either side, because it feels like this area is "weighted" down and feels like it is pulling away from that area if I don't have myself propped up on pillows. When I stand for longer that 10 mins the pain in my mid back is severe and I have to bend over to catch my breath. Sitting up does this too (like right now). I have some pain that is radiating to my shoulders and have run a very low grade temp, nothing over 100, though. Any thoughts? This pain isn't only when I eat, it's constant.

Thank you for writing in today. Based on your information, I have a question. Did you have a laparoscopic procedure? This is when they use the smaller incisions, rather than the large, open incision. Also, what are you taking for pain and how often? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oxycodone for pain 1 every 6 hours, 10mg. Yes, it was laparoscopic - 4 small incisions.

I know I'm not constipated from the pain meds - I know that can be an issue. I'm going fairly regularly, if not more than normal.

Thank you for responding. I asked about the laparoscopic approach for a reason. Your pain complaints are similar to those seen in patients with that type of approach. Abdominal surgeries can be quite painful. When a person has a laprascopic approach, sometimes people think that the pain will be minimal, but it can be quite severe. In addition, abdominal pain post-op can be worse after a few days. Once a person is home and moving a couple days, this can make the already painful abdomen more painful. Your symptoms, including pain that radiates to the shoulder, may actually just be some normal post-operative pain. The slight elevation in temp could be your body's response to the surgery and also the pain. At any rate, it sounds like your pain is not well controlled. At this point, I would recommend consulting your surgeon, he/she may be able to offer you alternative or adjunctive pain management options. In addition, he/she will need to just rule out any other possible underlying issue, such as abscess. From this end, it is impossible to rule that out, so a surgeon will want to rule out this possibility. Also, in addition to your pain compliants, you need to report any fevers > 101, increased heart rates, cold/clammy skin, profuse sweating, or any other abnormal symptoms. Finally, although you likely know this, try to take it easy. You use your abdominal muscles for everything. Be careful, especially when changing positions, up and down. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa