CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have had numbness and pins and needles in my left thigh from

I have had numbness and pins and needles in my left thigh from my hip to my knee for 4 weeks now. 5 days ago my wife spent some time pulling on my left leg and it seemed to provide relief at the hip. it seems to be focused now from 8 inches above the knee to the knee and i have been getting sharp shooting pains. the worst was last night i woke up screaming and had to get up. what do i do i just want some relief.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry for your pain and suffering. It sounds like tendonitis and neuritis combined... did you hurt your hip or back? You may have sciatica which is an irritation of the sciatic nerve. The localized pain around the knee may be an inflammation of the tendon....possibly from waking differently when the pain in the hip to the thigh began. Use ICE, heat tends to make it hurt worse. Take ibuprofen 800 mg every 6 hours, if not contraindicated, and REST. IF this doesn't improve you need an MRI to try to pinpoint the cause so you can get appropriate treatment.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not had any injury to my back or my hip. I am 5 foot 7 inches weigh 170lbs. I am a construction worker so im in good physical shape. The chiropractor said it wasnt sciatica his opinion was a pinched nerve due to my lower back. the doctor i went and saw said he thought i was wearing my belt to tight and caused a pinched nerve. Is there an excercise possibly or stretching that may help, I had a severe sinus infection a couple months ago and got an mri on my sinuses, I have insurance but i kind of sucks the mri cost me $500.00 out of pocket?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
OMG $500.00 is an insane copay. A pinched nerve in your lower back is what sciatica is... if it's the sciatic nerve, which I think it is because it goes from your hip to your leg. ( you could also have a herniated disk which would cause compression of the nerve and cause these symptoms) Try ice to the lower back to calm an irritated nerve. The knee I am almost sure is due to the first problem because when something like this occurs we tend to favor it and walk and sit differently which can cause an irritation to the tendons of the knee area. Stretching is really not what I would do. It seems that would only serve to irritate it more, if it were a muscle , yes, but this does not at all sound muscular in nature. In addition to seeing this in may patients over the years, I am Speaking now from my own personal experience, when I developed sciatic for no reason I could ever pin point, I also developed a knee problem shortly after.. for the exact reasons I am telling you. What worked for me was not doing anything that causes pain... that means lying around for a few days, ice to areas, ibuprofen and keeping a positive attitude. Once you see the pain is starting to go away you will feel much better knowing this is going to pass. Because it will:-)

Edited by CamilleRN on 1/16/2010 at 6:27 PM EST