Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

I have brown spots on my lower legs right above my foot and

I have brown spots on my lower legs right above my foot and ankle. They almost look like cigarrette burns. They appeared overnight. I have endometriosis and just started taking herbs for it. Not sure if that has something to do with it. What would cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Does the area possibly look like a bruise?

Are you on any blood thinning medications?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It looks as if I have a scar from a cigarette burn. There are three spots in a row in the middle of my left leg right above the ankle area. On the right foot there is one on my inner ankle and one on the middle of my right leg. In the same location as one of the spots on my left leg. I have been bedridden from the pain of the endo and lost lots of blood. I think I lost too much blood. I am not on any medication, but did take some herbs....vitex, horsetail and red rasberries.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Is this area raised?

Is it possible that there are bite marks, from insects?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The spots are flat and they do not itch or hurt. They are in a straight row about an inch apart on my left leg and one spot on the right leg is exactly in the same spot as the left. I know for sure that an insect is not that coordinated. lol I am really nervous but cant really afford to go to the doctor until my insurance kicks in.

The only thing out of the ordinary is that my menses and endo almost killed me this month and it is not usually this bad. I did bleed profusely for 5 days and the pain was severe and I never used these herbs before.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

Well, this is tough to tell because we can't actually examine the area.

And certainly spots appearing overnight in a line is certainly unusual.

Without other symptoms, it is tough to know what it could be, but the possibilities could include bruising in the area, issues with vein inflammation (not typical though), possible allergic reaction to the herbs (but unusual location and there aren't any other issues elsewhere in your body, and these are flat and not-itchy, and not typical of hives).

Sorry there isn't an obvious answer here, but keep an eye on it, and if it is indeed bruise related (for some reason) it should improve within 2 weeks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you mean internal bruising. I have been in bed for five days so it can not be external.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Yes, internal bruising.

Just underneath the skin. This could cause discoloration that would appear overnight, and not a raised or itchy area.

But as to the actual underlying cause? Still unclear, and not likely due to the herbs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Would hemorrhaging from the endo cause this? Are spots a sign of diabetes?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Well, while not common at all -- endometreosis lesions could be found in the skin.

But probably they would be painful, and probably would have been noted before this time, if it was due to the endometriosis. But a rare possibility.

Spots like this are not typical of diabetes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Lastly, would the area be painful if it is caused from internal bleeding? It is just so odd that the brown spots appear overnight.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Well, bleeding from endometriosis is often associated with pain. But no, bleeding right under the skin could be painless. It is odd that the brown spots appeared overnight, and you could be one of the relatively rare people that have endometriosis that affects the skin. Or not. It's just tough to know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So I guess these shin spots are too mysterious to diagnose on line, huh? Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Some things are easy -- like crushing chest pain and trouble breathing = heart attack.

Small flat brown spots that appear overnight on leg in a line without history of trauma or blood thinners and are associated with no other symptoms = hard to know.

Best of luck, and if they should continue to bother you, certainly the best thing to do is to get them checked out in person.