Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

My daughter is 4 years old, she has sleep apnea. Her adenoids

My daughter is 4 years old, she has sleep apnea. Her adenoids and tonsils were taken out. She is tired all the time, purplish under her eyes, low appetite, in the 10th percentile and has very little hair growth on her head, fast heart rate at night. She still has apnea, just one an hour so they say, but I think more because I see her hold her breath and move all the time. The Dr's are testing her for heart problems, but I live in Canada and the result process takes forever!!!! My questions are DOES HEART PROBLEMS CAUSE APNEA? and SHOULD MY CHILD'S HEART RATE BE FAST AND IRREGULAR AT NIGHT? Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

How fast is the heart rate at night?

Have they tested her thyroid?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi there thanks for your concern, I don't know the pulse, every time I go to do it I loose count because it's so fast and skips beats double beats it's all over the place. She get a holter Feb 11 so in a month, and I think she is getting a thyroid test, amongst other blood tests to, just more concerned with her heart.

Abnormal thyroid can cause the symptoms you are talking about that is why I asked about it. They are usually done with routine blood tests.

CHildren do have fast heart rates, I would expect hers to be in the 90-110 on the outside of normal. But they are usually regular. However, with respirations and deep sleep they can be a little irregular normally.

Heart problems usually do not cause sleep apnea but sleep apnea can cause heart problems if not treated long term.

With you daughter being so young, a cardiac evaluation is important and it seems like that will be done soon. Sometimes it is hard to find a pediatric cardiologist!

I wish I could give you answers as to what is wrong but certainly all of the tests have to be run first... is there a way (to ease your worry) to see if they can put her on a waiting list and do any of the tests sooner? You could call and ask them...