A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My 3 yr old daughter says it hurts when she pees. I took her

My 3 yr old daughter says it hurts when she pees. I took her to the clinic on thursday morning because she started crying hysterically saying she couldnt pee , running around and sort of rubbing herself against the floor on wednesday afternoon. They made her pee in a cup and checked it for a urinary tract infection and it came up negative. Then they checked her to see if she had a rash or iritation and said she was fine. They recommened to sit her in a bath with warm water and some baking soda for about 15-20 minutes every other day. When we came home I tried to do what they told me but she would not sit in the bath. She fought me the entire time, I had to hold her down. Later the afternoon, when she started to cry again, I got anxious so I took her to the hospital. They made her pee in a cup, no urinary tract infection and they checked her and said she was fine. He said she had all the sign of a uti so he gave me some antibiotics for a uti and told me to give it to her twice a day for about five days. It has been five days, she doesnt cry or run around saying she cant pee but still says it hurts to pee only if I ask her. We went back to pull-ups because she's refuses to pee in the toilet, she says it hurts and she's scared. When she's wearing the pull-up she tells me she needs to pee I say ok, then she stands in front of me and pees they asks me to change her. My question is could she have something else that the doctors are missing like some type of fungus and thats why she says it hurts to pee or could she just honestly be scared.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. This is an interesting situation. You see, if it hurts to pee in the toilet, it would also hurt to pee in the diaper. It is the urine going through an irritated urethra that hurts. If she is experiencing no pain going in the pull-up, then she probably isn't in any pain any more regardless of where she urinates. That doesn't mean she didn't have a minor infection at one time that was cleared by the antibiotic. At this point it may be more anxiety than anything else. It's hard to say what is going on with a child this age. It could be a bit of recidivism to pull-ups because she is unsure of herself as she goes through development milestones. The pull-ups may be a security blanket for some toddler angst. I'd give it a week and start the training process over again.