Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

54 breasts..extremely irritable as if I had PMS...spotting

I am 54 years old and have not had a period in two years. Last week my breasts were tender and swollen and I was extremely irritable as if I had PMS. I also have had some intermittent spotting. With the first sign of spotting the breast tenderness and swelling went away. What might cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. Since you had the associated breast tenderness and PMS-like irritability, this may have been some hormonal imbalance; however, since you are post-menopausal, having gone more than 12 months without a period, any and all bleeding needs to be reported and investigated. This is true for now and in the future. The reason this is necessary is because post-menopausal bleeding is often related to underlying problems, such as fibroids and infections. Also, and more specifically, cervical or endometrial cancers need to be ruled out. I don't mean to alarm you, but I do want to reinforce the importance of having this and any future bleeding evaluated. This indeed may have been a brief hormonal imbalance; however, due to your age and post-menopausal status, break through bleeding must be taken very seriously. I hope you understand. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa