Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

I just got back an EBV Ab VCA, IgG test with a result of 8.0

I just got back an EBV Ab VCA, IgG test with a result of 8.0 (high); an EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG test with a 1.8 result (high), and an EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG above 8, High and a CRP of 6.8 High. My EBV Av VCA, IgM was negative, below 0.2. TSH is in the normal range. But, I have extreme fatigue, weakness, and very painful muscle pain. Do these results point to anything? (My homocystein was also elevated in the past.)

Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

Your EBV ( Epstein Barr virus) IgM is negative which signifies no active infection.

The positive IgG antibodies signify past infection & you developed immunity subsequesntly.

Your CRP level is high which indicates inflammation.

Because of your muscle pain, inflammatory myositis ( Polymyostis, inclusion myositis etc) should be ruled out.

Follow tests need to be done, CPK, Aldolase, ANA titer, Anti Jo1 Abs.

A muscle biopsy & a EMG/NCV study should also be performed to find out the muscle disease you may be having.

The treatment depends on right diagnosis.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Thanks. My ANA was negative. My Sedimentation Rate--Westergren was 4.
My Lyme IgG/Igm Ab was below 0.91, or negative for the index used by the lab. My thyroid problem is caused by Hashimoto's. Would this affect the tests already done, or the ones you suggest?

Thanks for additional information.

Hashimoto's may cause elevated CRP.

But, given your predominant muscle symptoms, the tests I mentioned above should be done.