Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

How can you get rid of water blisters on the legs. They are

How can you get rid of water blisters on the legs. They are painful at night when not draining. During the day they seem to give off an excessive amount of water. Enough to soak through my jeans. They are on my lower legs.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Can you please tell me if you have swelling of your lower legs? What chronic medical problems do you have? How long have you had the blisters?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The blisters have been for about 2 weeks. I do have some swelling in my feet, but the swelling has been going down. My work does have me sitting too much. I am also overweight.

Thank you for your reply.

Usually water blisters develop when there is significant swelling due to inability of the skin to extend any further and, therefore, pop-up in the forms of blisters.

It is very important to determine why you have swelling in your legs and elevate your legs as much as possible. You might even need to take a diuretic (water pill) to help you get rid of some of the swelling.

There is nothing specific that you can do to get rid of blisters other then decrease the swelling, again because the blisters are the direct results of swelling. If swelling is improving on its own, blisters will also improve. If swelling is not going down fast enough, I do suggest you see your medical doctor for evaluation. It is abnormal to have swelling in such a young person as you are.

For now, again, try to elevate your legs whenever possible, apply heat packs few times per day. Heat dilates blood vessels and hopefully improves circulation and return of the blood back to the heart.

You can also try to wear compression stockings (which are tight knee-high socks). They help with decreasing swelling and returning blood to the heart.

If there is any warmth or redness present around the blisters, you also have to make sure it is not an infection.

I would recommend that you see your general doctor for further evaluation.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions or need any clarification. I will be happy to assist you further.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click the green "Accept" button so that I can get credit for my work.

Best wishes,