Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Every morning when i wake up my throat hurts. I also have flem

Every morning when i wake up my throat hurts. I also have flem that i have to get rid of almost throw up daily. The rest of the day is followed by a dry cough. Why does this happen? I dont smoke or drink. 28 female By the way I also have constant heartburn.

How long has this been going on?
How long have you been on the prilosec? What dose of prilosec are you on?
Have you seen a specialist regarding your heartburn? Ever had an upper endoscopy (scope?)

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The dry cough occurs every year mainly when the weather changes when its cold. I have however gotten it during spring.

Then heartburn has been ongoing for 2 years but more severe now. If i stop taking prilosec its really bad. 10mg of prilosec daily.

Thank you for the additional information,

The cough may be due to a few things. Since it is dry and occurs during weather change, I suggest using a humidifier in your room if you haven't tried that.
Three common causes of cough in adults (other than illness/viruses) are:
1. Asthma-sometimes people do not have typical symptoms of asthma and cough is the only sign.

2. Post-nasal drainage. If you have drainage, this can be due to allergies or irritant exposures. This can be treated with antihistamines or nasal steroid sprays.

3. Acid reflux. This is likely the cause of your cough since you have a known history of this. The prilosec you are on is a low dose. You can try increasing to 20 mg per day. I also recommend that you be evaluated by a gastroenterologist given the length of time that you have had the acid reflux. You may need a scope and prescription medication to better control your symptoms.

Other things to help with acid reflux:
Elevate the head of your bed at night
Avoid caffeine, fatty foods, chocolate and peppermint
Again, try increasing the prilosec to 20 mg until evaluation with specialist
Wear looser fitting clothing (if you tend to wear tight clothes)

If treating the acid reflux does not help the cough and mucus production, then you need to possibly have a chest xray, allergy evaluation, etc.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!