CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have recurrent sores that crust in my nose. I have gone to

I have recurrent sores that crust in my nose. I have gone to doctors on occasion and they tell me it's a sinus infection. I take the antibiotics that they prescribe but regardless these sores and crusts return. They do eventually go away for a period of time on their own but they are always return. It is quite painful and my nose becomes inflammed. One doctor told me that I can use fucidin cream in my nose. Is that correct? Can I use a topical cream in my nose? What can be cause? A colonization of staph? An allergy? Or is it really just chronic sinus infections. No doctors have ever done a swab for mrsa. I am a nurse in the hospital but worry about spreading it. I do practice excellent handwashing and always use tissues to blow my nose.
Hi and thank you for your question. The symptoms you have are most likely due to an infection at the site of the crusted sores. Yes you can and should be applying an antibacterial cream to the area as well as oral antibiotics. Ask your Doctor to culture some of the crust so he will know which antibiotic will kill it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would really like to know specifically if the topical cream fucidin is safe to use inside the nose.
Yes but sparingly and only on the affected area as this product is not typically put into the mucus membranes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much. I just finished nursing school and thought that it was a little odd that I was told it was safe to put a topical antibiotic in my nose. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
You are very welcome. Congratulations on your new career in Nursing! :-)