CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have just been released by the hospital due to severe stuttering

Customer Question

I have just been released by the hospital due to severe stuttering and inability to walk. I can talk now but it still hurts to walk and I can't stop crying or being overwhelmed with everything. The hospital gave me adivan, darvocet and ambian while I was there but did not send me home with anything. I called to ask for help tonight and they said there wasn't anything they can do and now I am constantly crying, unable to sleep and I feel like I am going to completely lose it. What do I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. You are NOT going to lost it....there is nothing you can lose..really. You are feeling anxious... it happens to almost everyone at some point in their life. Do you have an idea of what it is that is pushing you so hard right now? What is bother ing you ...so you know? it's ok if you don't..sometimes anxiety creeps up on us and it's hard to pinpoin any event or reason. To STOP you need to do some deep breathing. It will work every single time. Have you been struggling with anxiety for a long time or is it new?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
You can help alleviate the feeling of chest tightness secondary to incorrect breathing by changing your breathing pattern to abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatique and chest tightness) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale showly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety....every time. If it comes back do it again. Definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being. I hope this information helps you. If I can help further just let me know. Please click ACCEPT. Thank you and I wishyou a peaceful and happy day today! :-)