Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Theres a bitter, possibly metallic taste when I lick my fingers,

Theres a bitter, possibly metallic taste when I lick my fingers, or even the outside of my lips. It's not an ongoing taste within my mouth, only when my tongue touches skin outside my mouth. I take no medications, only vitamins (saw palmetto, selenium, vit D, multivitamin) and have not changed this in past year. The bad taste I only noticed past week or so. I'm 67, male,in good health, have switched to vegan diet past year.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for the question

I would be happy to assist, however, I need a little more information before we proceed.

Does everything else you eat taste metallic or metallic-like or is it just when you taste your skin?

Does your other food taste normal?

Thanks, I'll look for the reply

This info request is only to gain more information so that I can better answer your question. Please answer the questions to the best of your ability so that I can give you a more accurate, informed answer. Also, if you have any additional information that you feel would be useful, please feel free to include that as well. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Only when I taste my skin. Food doesn't taste metallic or bitter. I just thought of something. I've been using a hand sanitizer a lot lately, and sometimes wipe my lips with my hand. Could the alcoholic content or some other ingredient in the hand sanitizer liquid be causing this? I think I'll refrain from using the sanitizer for a few days and see if anything changes. Have you ever heard of this symptom before?

Hi there, yes, I actually have heard of this. Cleaner in general.....especially those that contain propylene glycol. I don't want to alarm you, but propylene glycol is used as a de-icer and is also used in antifreeze that you use in your car (and it's also an ingredient in Purell and other hand sanitizers). While used only in small amounts on the hands, it can, after a while build up. Yes, I think you should discontinue the use of the hand santizer for a while and see if this helps.

Hope this helps....reply back if needed

********************

Don't forget...You will need to click ACCEPT or the $$$ you have put down as a deposit will not go to me. JustAnswer.com will hold your deposit and I will not get credit for my time and efforts.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.