Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My 3 1/2 year old son has a flat brown mole on his scalp, a

Customer Question

My 3 1/2 year old son has a flat brown mole on his scalp, a little behind and above his ear. He's had it now for maybe about a year I think. I know that I pointed it out to his pediatrician during his 3 year old routine well check up. Both my children have moles, my 5 1/2 year old daughter has more than my son, but I'm guessing he will get more as he gets older. Most of their moles are very small and "normal" looking. The one I'm mentioning behind my son's ear on his scalp is the only one that is large. It's maybe a little bit smaller than a pencil eraser but not much. It's round and all one color. It just looks so big to me. His pediatrician assured me it was fine and didn't seem concerned. Is it unusual to have a somewhat bigger mole on the scalp? Could it be a melanoma? I should say that my husband, and both his parents, are very "moley". Thanks for your help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

Yes, larger moles can occur anywhere on the body, even the scalp. The main thing to remember is the ABCDE's.... Any changes in moles; Asymmetry, Borders, Color, Diameter, and Elevation are the ABC rule for moles. Changes in the shape (Asymmetry), changes in the borders of the mole (if the shape changes), if the mole gets larger than it once was (anything greater than 6 mm is considered suspicious, and elevation-if the mole is elevated or raised from the skin it should be considered suspicious.

Melanoma would be very unlikely. I think that since moles run in the family, he has just inherited this and if anything, just have the Pediatrician to keep an eye on it. Changes in the mole are a red flag.

Hope this helps....reply back if needed

Don't forget...You will need to click ACCEPT or the $$$ you have put down as a deposit will not go to me. will hold your deposit and I will not get credit for my time and efforts.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Nurse Milli, when I agreed to pay $14 and submitted my question, there was a picture and bio of a medical dr. who had experience in family medicine. I was submitting my question to that dr. When your bio popped up stating that you were looking at my question, I attempted to find a way to cancel it, so as not to waste your time. I did not see any such option. I appreciate your experience and information, but everything you stated I had read on the internet. I was hoping to hear directly from a dr. $14 is a lot of money for me to spend, and again, I'm sorry if I wasted your time.

No problem, I will opt out and see if this person will take the you know their name? If so, I can see if they are online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I appreciate your understanding. I don't remember the name, she was female and blond. However, the main thing I was interested in was a medical doctor was some type of experience with children. Thanks again.

Hmm, I'm not sure who's profile you would have seen, but I will be happy to opt out and see if someone else will take the question. Have a blessed day!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

I agree 100% with what the information that Nurse Milli has provided you.
Moles can appear anywhere on the body, including the scalp. As long as it has a sharply demarcated border (not fuzzy or irregular) and does not have different color variations or a changing size, then it is something to simply keep an eye on.

One thing you can do, if you have concerns, is have a dermatologist look at it. Many dermatologists will document with pictures in order to watch for any changes over the years.

If your son has any moles on the soles of his feet, those would be the most concerning and should be checked by a dermatologist.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States