A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am having a hard time passing my stool. too large and too

Customer Question

I am having a hard time passing my stool. too large and too hard to pass. will a laxative help? I am bleeding also. i do not have a laxative...I drank orange juice and have grapes to eat. help!!!!! i'm scared!!
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Prune juice is much better than orange juice as a laxative. If you are going to the store for one though, you might want to try an enema to get things started since you know there is a large, hard obstruction in the rectum. You should also buy stool softener tablets (docusate sodium/Colace is one) which will continue to make passing feces easier. A handful of prunes or some juice will also help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am in Japan so I cannot go to the store or go get an enema. I wanted to avoid getting one. No prune juice available. Will orange juice do it? or grapes?

Orange juice has no laxative properties and you would need to eat a whole lot of grapes to make a difference in severe constipation. If hardened stool is what is preventing you from going, then even laxative won't help until that stool is broken up and expelled, and an enema is the best way to do that. If you are in a hotel, you can ask the concierge for information about contacting an English-speaking nurse or doctor who can tell you where medications are available.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how does the stool get broken up and does it do it on its own?

No, it does it with an enema. Just instilling and retaining the fluid for a few minutes helps to get the process started. Commercial enemas also have a blend that coaxes fluid into the lumen of the bowel to further soften the blocked stool. You can then expel it more easily in your bowel movement.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no that wasn't my question. you said that it will soften by itself..correct?
No, I didn't say it would soften by itself. By the time someone is totally unable to pass a stool on their own, there is little other than an enema that will work to clear the obstruction. Mild constipation can be helped with stool softeners and laxatives, but if the stool is too big and too hard to pass, then only an enema or digging it out by hand will work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not satisfied. I will like to cancel this account