CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I am a 31 year old women with stabbing chest pain ONLY on my

I am a 31 year old women with stabbing chest pain ONLY on my left side. I do not have shortness of breath, pain anywhere else or any other symptoms. The pain is severe and made unbearable when I lay down esp. on my left side. My insurance stinks so I don't want to go to the ER unless I have tried everything else. I have taken 300 mgs of Tagament and it has done nothing. What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
HI and thank you for your question. Does it hurt when you take a deep breath?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
This sounds like it may be Costochondritis , which is inflammation of the cartilage of the rib cage, causing pain in the chest similar to angina pectoris ( Hurts worse when taking a deep breath and lying flat) and can hurt under the arm the front and back. It can be temporary ( a few weeks) or can be long lasting ( several months to years), and depending on the extent of the inflammation, can be quite painful. Costochondritis responds very well to anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen) and the use of ice packs (bags of frozen vegetables at 15 minute intervals are very helpful), and gentle stretching of the pectoralis muscles two to three times a day. Something you can do that may help you is some anxiety relieving techniques. Starting with proper breathing. You can help alleviate your symptoms with abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatigue and chest tightness) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale slowly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety....every time. Definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being. And don't forget daily exercise which increases endorphins and helps you to feel better in every way. I hope this information helps you. If I can help further just let me know. Please click ACCEPT. Thank you and I wish you a Happy New YEar! :-)