Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I cut my hand on a piece of metal at work its right above

I cut my hand on a piece of metal at work it's right above my wrist bone. It's been 2 weeks it looks like it's healing(no pain), but it swells and clear fluid leaks out continually, it wets my sleeve at work. If I push on the cut it will squirt up in the air? Does this mean it is not healing?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure if the cut is actually infected or not, but a cut this deep that is still weeping and swelling is not a good sign that healing is taking place. Redness, warmth, and purulent (pus-like) drainage is often seen in infection. I think you need to go ahead and get the cut examined and possibly closed up with stitches or Dermabonded again (Dermabond is a sterile type of super glue that will hold stronger than regular super glue). Sound like you are doing all of the right things by keeping it washes, and bandaged, but you might want to leave the bandages off when you are at home to help the cut dry out some. This might help it heal a little faster as well. Another thought is a Tetanus shot. I'm not sure when you got your last one but if it has been longer than 5-7 years you might need to go ahead and get a Tetanus booster while your at the clinic.

Hope this helps! Reply back if needed!

Don't forget...You will need to click ACCEPT or the $$$ you have put down as a deposit will not go to me. will hold your deposit and I will not get credit for my time and efforts.