CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

decadron when you become ill as you do with cortisone

do you increase your normal dosage of decadron when you become ill as you do with cortisone?
Hi and thank you for your question. You should consult with your Doctor prior to adjusting any dosage of any prescription medication. Too much decadron can cause dizziness resulting in a fall, increased sweating; fast heart rate, and severe nervousness among other problems. Please ask your Doctor before adjusting your does. I hope this information helps you. Please remember to click accept. Thank you and happy new year!:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am unable to reach my doctor. i just need to know if you increase your daily dosage when you are ill. when on cortisone you doubled the dose and then tapered off back to your original maintenence dosage .. someone told me decadron was time released and you did not have to do that.
how much decadron do you take, how often?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i take .75mg once a day.
Can you tell me what disease process you are treating with decadron?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I suffer from hypopituitarism. I had a tumor removed from my pituitary and the gland was destroyed.
The lowest possible dose of corticosteroids should be used to control the condition under treatment. Decadron increase may cause an elevation in blood pressure, salt and water retention, and increased potassium loss. While I can not recommend thid for you, and only your Doctor should prescribe your treatment, The standard dose pack for exacerbations of conditions is as follows,

First Day

DECADRON tablets, 0.75 mg

4 tablets in two divided doses

Second Day

4 tablets in two divided doses

Third Day

2 tablets in two divided doses

Fourth Day

1 tablet

Please do consult with your Doctor before making any changes. I wish you the best! :-)