A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Hi Doctor...I have had a subcaneous cyst on my penis shaft

Customer Question

Hi Doctor...I have had a subcaneous cyst on my penis shaft for about 10 the 8 week mark i lanced it through the hole which was in the middle of the cyst with a pin and now i am left with an open sore that hasnt really healed in the 15 days...what can i do to speed up the healing process?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. A cyst that is going to heal will have done so in 5-7 days at the most. It appears yours may be infected, and your doctor will need to prescribe antibiotics. If it was truly a cyst, the casing may also need to be removed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when you say truly a cyst, what do you mean?...that it could be something else?...i know that my condition wouldnt be herpes since it doesnt last 10 weeks, and i thought a genital wart wouldnt have a hole in the middle and would not be felt under the skin, like what i had you have any other ideas than what it could be if not a cyst?..and what do you mean by the casing?..thank you

It can be an infected hair follicle, abscess, etc. as well as a cyst. A true cyst is enclosed in a casing, similar to a balloon enclosing water. You can pop the balloon and remove the water, but if the outside casing isn't removed, the cyst will recur. There is also the possibility of an infection when you don't use sterile technique. All infections require antibiotics to cure. Any lesion that is going to heal on its own will heal on a penis, which has very good blood supply, within a week at the outside. Therefore, you need to see someone to determine what is going on with this lesion.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your answers..much appreciated...unfortunately for me i have seen a dermatologist twice, and he wasnt much of a help..first time, i told him my story and he just told me we'll go with my story, and prescribed me keflax, which didnt help...he suggested a wart also but when i visited a 2nd time, after i did the lancing, he said it doesnt look like a wart anymore and just told me to come back in 6 weeks for a biopsy if no healing...i was on this same forum and spoke to another doctor who said it definitely sounds like a subcanous cyst and that it should heal on its own..i was just asking since the healing really hasnt happened like i had a biopsy my only real option at this point?

I'm sorry, but any lesion that isn't healing in more than two weeks needs to be biopsied to determine what it is. That also gives an opportunity to culture and determine exactly what any infection is, all from the same sample.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok last question..thanks again for your time...i assumed a biopsy is my only option at this point...based on the info that i've given you, and i know you have not seen my lesion but in your most educated guess what does my condition sound like to you? in the middle of october i shaved a hair from the shaft of my penis and days later the area was red with a distinct middle...after a few days the red dissappeared and the middle became a white, almost hard nodule that wasnt raised from the skin...when i put my finger under the nodule it was very obvious it was under the skin...when i squeezed the nodule it was slightly painful and a hole developed in the middle and sometimes a flesh colored substance would come out...than i lanced it...

It sounds more like an infected hair follicle. Often the infective organism is staph, which is the most common organism on the body. Keflex probably wasn't the best antibiotic if it were staph. I would have the biopsy so you can get the infection cleared up. Often a simple course of Bactrim will do the job when fancier antibiotics won't work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you again for all your answers...are there any topical ointments or whatnot that i could use to maybe help a little with healing?...and would a biopsy leave a scar, although anything isbetter than what i have now
I wouldn't complicate matters with over-the-counter ointments. There may be a tiny scar, but it won't be any worse than will be left by the lesion itself healing.