CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

Thank you. My daughter (53 yrs) has had rectal cancer resulting

Thank you.

My daughter (53 yrs) has had rectal cancer resulting in surgery 1/14/08 that removed the lower 12 inches of the colon and she now has a colostomy. She also took the chemotherapy - 6 weeks, I believe. The problem is: severe and nearly continual pain in mid-section just below her stomach. P.E.T., several CT-scans, bone scan, colonoscopy and scope into stomach which revealed small inflamation for which she took medication.

Her oncologist, surgeon and primary care physician can not give her any explanation for the pain. She has been taking pain meds since the initial surgery due to the severe pain. This pain is pretty well confined to about 1 hour after eating, regardless of what she eats or drinks. Liquids seem to cause some less pain, but still occures.

What would you suggest that we might seek for this dibilitating condition? She has not been able to work since the surgery because of the nearly constant pain and inability to stand longer than about 5 min.
Ruby Wilson
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ruby and thank you for your question.She may have adhesions due to surgery which can be very painful. Adhesions are scar tissue which forms from the trauma to the tissue in surgery. Sometimes a repeat surigery is needed to attempt to correct this. ANti inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen, accordong to package directions should help with this type of pain.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wondered about this. But, since she has had several procedures since the original surgery, she really does not want to go that route again, but it may be necessary.

I forgot to tell you that all scans and tests have resulted: "NO Cancer" for which we are grateful.

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
That is awseome news!!! I am very happy to hear that:-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has an appointment with a surgeon this Tuesday and see what he says.

If this is not the cause of the pain (adhesions) what would you look for next?

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
a narrowing in the colon, possibly.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)