A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I recently had a tooth extraction which became infected..GP

I recently had a tooth extraction which became infected and have had a course of erythromycin.I went to the GP because I was still feeling really tired.He has heard a systolic murmur, which has never been detected before, and also found haematuria. My blood pressure is usually very low, 120/70 but today I have tested it twice and it has been 150/91-90.
I asked my mom and I had scarlet fever as a child and now am terrified that I have SBE, having googled stuff. Should I make my way to an emergency room??
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. If your doctor suspected bacterial endocarditis he would be treating you with stronger antibiotics. No doubt your worry over this has made your blood pressure higher than usual, although it still isn't very high. You could also have a urinary tract infection, stones, etc. that is the source of the hematuria. "Subacute" is an older term that means it isn't an emergency, but a chronic infection. Fever that lasts a week or more is the first symptom to watch for. Diagnosis would include a blood culture to determine if there is an infection, which organism, and what antibiotics that organism is susceptible to. Treatment is a month or so on antibiotics. You should call your GP if you aren't feeling better by Monday.