Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I have clicking in my LEFT ear; when the clicking is very fast,

I have clicking in my LEFT ear; when the clicking is very fast, it causes dizziness. Over the last three months, the rapid, dizziness-causing clicking has only happened a few time. However, yesterday and today it is happening every few minutes.
MRI 2 weeks ago showed labyrinthitis in my RIGHT ear.
Presdnisone seemed to make it worse. Help!
Hi and thank you for your question.

In most cases, labyrinthitis usually goes away within a few weeks. Medications that may reduce the symptoms you are experiencing, aside from prednisone, include antihistamine, compazine or similar medication used to control nausea and vomiting

meclizine or scopalamine which is used to relieve dizziness and Valium.

To prevent worsening of your symptoms try to keep still and rest when symptoms occur, avoid sudden position changes and avoid bright lights.

Make sure you avoid any hazardous activities like driving until you are sure all of your symptoms have resolved. I hope this information has helped you. Please remember to click accept. Thank you and Happy New Year! :-)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This information was not helpful and was too generic.
How do I get my refund?
Thank you for trying anyway.
You are welcome,the info provided is the best advice we could give you, recommend you see your Doctor for more specific suggestions beyond the standard which I provided to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Your advice was not helpful. How do I get my $18 refunded as was guaranteed?
Thank you.

Hello there.

I am going to try and help you with your question. If you will still remain unsatisfied, let me know and I will let direct you to how to get your deposit back.

As you already probably know, labyrinthitis is caused by inflammation and swelling in your inner ear. During labyrinthitis, parts of the inner ear become irritated and inflamed which causes dizziness (also known as vertigo) and problems with balance.

There are several causes of labyrininthitis, with the most common being anything from ear infection to upper respiratory disease to allergies to a tumor in the middle ear. You already had an MRI which, from what I understand, ruled out a tumor.

Very often symptoms of dizziness you are describing will go away spontaneously within a few weeks of starting. Just as quickly as they started, they can go away. Sometimes, as Camille mentioned, you may require medical treatment to speed up the process of dizziness going away.

If you didn't have a recent ear infection, you do not need antibiotics. If you do not have symnptoms of upper respiratory infection or allergies such as runny nose, sneezing, coughing, watery/itchy eyes, then taking antihistamine (for allergies) will not be beneficial.

The most common medicaiton used to treat vertigo (which is a symptom of labyrinthitis) is called Meclizine. It is available over-the-counter in the strength of 25 mg. You can take anything from 12.5 mg twice daily to 25 mg twice daily. It is very important to increase your fluid intake during the times when you have dizziness (unless you have heart failure, then you have to be careful on fluid intake). When the dizziness is at its worse, try to not doing anything which requires a lot of moving around, this will make dizziness worse. Also, very important to avoid sudden position changes, do not try to read when symptoms occur, and avoid bright lights.

I hope you find this answer helpful. Please let me know if you need more clarification or have any other questions. I will be happy to assist.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click the green "Accept" button so that I can get credit for my work.

Best wishes and happy new year,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am on meclizine already, but the spells are quite acute. The key thing is that keeping my head still makes no difference. The dizziness spells come only with the rapid clicking, which lasts anywhere from 10-30 seconds. Being motionless makes no difference. I am looking for help on the correlation between the dizziness and the clicking. Yesterday I took sudafed (the one with pseudephedrine) and Afrin (which I am very hesitant to use.)
This has been happening for 3 months, with only about 5 acute attacks over that time. The attacks started happening about every 2-3 minutes on Thursday night. I wrote to this site on Friday. The right ear constantly rings and showed up as labyrinthitis on the MRI. It is the left ear that clicks/causes dizziness.
Thank you,

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for your reply.

There is probably fluid in the Left ear which is causing the clicking. What happens with vertigo is that you have these 3 tiny balls in the inner ear. For unknown reason, one of the balls comes out of its normal surrounding fluid and when it does, you get an acute episode of vertigo. Sometimes it goes back spontaneously and sometimes there are certain exercises with the head you can do to put it back in place.

Have you seen an Ear, Nose, Throat specialist? Have you been checked to make sure there is no ear infection in your left ear?

Sometimes, when vertigo becomes so severe and lasts for so long, it is urgent you go to the emergency room. In ER we usually give you fluids through the IV and medication such as Valium which improves symptoms. There just not be much that you can do at home on your own.

If you haven't seen in ENT, I strongly suggest you do. This is their specialty.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions you might have. I am here to help. If there is additional information you need me to know, let me know as well.

I hope this resolves soon.

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX've have been most helpful, and I really appreciate it!

You are welcome. Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

I did forget to mention that Sudafed is ok to take as long as you dont have history of high blood pressure (it can elevate blood pressure). You can take 1-2 tablets up to 3x per day.

If you wish to have your deposit back, you can write an email to [email protected] and request a refund.

If you were satisfied with the answer, then you can click the Accept button and I will get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, Julia, I thought I had paid by accepting and didn't go through all of the necessary steps (dizzy, you know!). It should be good now.
You have been terrific. Thank you!
With the Sudafed, the 120 mg Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride 12 Hour Extended-Release tablets, it is okay to take more than the 2 per day they recommend? I did take 1 1/2 at once but was a little worried, so that makes me feel better!
Thank you again,

Thank you for accepting. I am very glad I was able to help.

You should be ok with the dose you took. Just keep an eye on the blood pressure. Prescription strength Sudafed is 60 mg and can be taken 3x daily.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, Julia!