CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

tight feeling in my chest is this something i need to worry

Ive been having like a tight feeling in my chest is this something i need to worry about?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your questin. Have you had a cold or flu? Are you currently taking any medications?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I havent had a cold. The only medication iamtaking is pepcid
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
This kind of feeling can be due to anxiety. Anxiety can seem to come out of nowhere.. without a concrete cause. Something you can do what may help you is some anxiety relieving techniques. Starting with proper breathing. You can help alleviate the feeling of chest tightness secondary to incorrect breathing by changing your breathing pattern to abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatique and chest tightness) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale showly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety....every time. If it comes back do it again. Definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being. I hope this information helps you. If I can help further just let me know. Please click ACCEPT. Thank you and I wishyou a peaceful and happy day today! :-)