A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

abdominal pain, pelvic pain and lower back pain..ultrasound

Customer Question

I am a 27 yr old female who has been experiencing abdominal pain, pelvic pain and lower back pain. The first time i went to the doctoe they told me i was most likely developing an ulcer. They did a ultrasound and found nothing wrong so they prescribed me sucrlfate. At first, the meds were working but then 4 days ago the pain started coming back and again i went to the hospital and they said nothing was wrong without doing a single test. They sent me on my way. I would like to know what explanation there is fr this type of pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. You will need to see a private physician in order to get a proper diagnosis. Pain in the ovaries has nothing to do with stomach pain, or pain in the back. Your doctor would need to run some tests to see what is going on. Possibly there is an ulcer, in which case the treatment is antibiotics plus acid reducers, but that does not explain pelvic or backpain. Hospital emergency rooms tend to stabiliize emergencies and provide temporary pain relief, then send patients to their primary physicians for diagnosis.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you think it is serious? I don't have an appointment until the 6th of january.

It isn't really possible to say what it is, but unless the pain is unbearable, you should be able to wait until Wednesday without a problem. It will most likely turn out to be more than one thing, such as ulcer plus reproductive problem. There may be a cyst on an ovary causing the pain, but there is no way to tell until you actually are examined.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is there any way of knowing whether or not you might have a cyst on your ovaries? What symptoms are there?

Pain is the primary symptom, sometimes along with irregular periods. The only way to know is an ultrasound.