luvtohelp
luvtohelp, Doctor
Experience:  six years of direct patient care
12376178

I noticed the other day while erect that there was a small

I noticed the other day while erect that there was a small bulge towards the head of my penis on the underside. It's about the size of a small pea and goes away when I become flaccid. It didn't appear during the next erection but did during the latest one. It isn't painful at all but I can feel pressure. Please advise!!!!

Hello and welcome to just answer. I am pleased to assist you and do not hesitate to ask follow up questions. It sounde like that buldge is part of the venous system that fills up during erection. Once flaccid, the blood is no longer pooled there and you are then unable to feel the buldge. You may be able to flatten it and watch it refill with blood again.

If it is very hard or becomes painful, then please see your doctor promptly. It does sound to be like a vein...part of the erection. Diagram at http://www.asiaandro.com/archive/1008-682X/4/61f1.jpg

I do hope I have helped. It has been my pleasure assisting you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When you say if it becomes very hard how hard is that? It feels about as hard as cartilage when it's fully erect. But not painful. Have you heard of this and what prompted it to occur all the sudden. I'm 30 years old and in good health although I do smoke. Thank you.

Cartilage like is fine as this is probably similar consistancy the the rest of your erection. The underside (corporus cavernosa) does tend to get particularly engorged. It was likely there for a while but smaller. If it continues to grow or becomes bothersome, a urologist will be able to assist you further. Certainly bring it up at your next doctor's appointment where your doc can take a look at it if needed.

I hope this clarifies things a bit more. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Edited by luvtohelp on 1/1/2010 at 9:06 PM EST