CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

was diagnosed w uti and kidney infection on 12 30 when i went

Customer Question

was diagnosed w uti and kidney infection on 12\30 when i went to the er w back and side pain and bladder infection symptoms.. all they did was do a check up touch my back and it was tender and take urine sample.. i hv been on bactrim for almost 3 days and hv no improvement of symptoms.. now i hv a general feeling of tiredness weakness and dizzy spells.. no fever or vomiting.. is a urine test sufficent enuff of testing .. is this normal to feel? should i return to the er?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question, yes, with a physical exam and a urine test a urinary tract infection is easily diagnosed. A urinary infection can cause dizziness and weakness. You should already begin to feel a bit better, pain should be gone, within a few days. make sure you are drinking at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water every day. I hope this info helps you. Happy New Year!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was seen on the 29th and started treatment then.. its been 3 days w anitbiotic bactrm.. i do not feel any better.. my major concern is the kidney infection part.. the comp says sepsis or kidney damage can happen.. if antibiotics do not work for the bacteria in the uti and kidney... shouldn't i hv felt improvement by now? i hv an all over feeling of tiredness and lightheaded.. and chills as of today.. its confusing.. urine test is sufficient enuff to check the kidney infection severity as well?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
In almost all cases bactrim is the antibiotic of choice for urinary tract infections. Do you still have back pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i still hv back and side pain.. nothing excrutiating.. but its felt.. it comes and goes.. but is always tender... has not changed since i started treatment
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.

In this case you should continue to take the antibiotics and let your Doctor know you are still experiencing pain, he may want to assess you again to rule out any problems.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it's not er wanted?? just a visit w my primary care ?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Your Doctor may be on call...it would be wiser to call him first. If not, then yes, go to the ER for an evaluation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
went back to the er on 1-2-10 bacteria was still there.. kidney blood tests came back fine.. was sent home w levaquin bc entrobacter was the bacteria found and the infection seemed to be in the kidney bc of the side and back discomfort.. my side did not hurt all day yest or sun .. now today my second day on levaquin.. my urethrea is burning again and my side and back is having discomfort pain...but my urine is no longer cloudy.. is this normal to feel pain one day and the next not? i am drinking PLENTY of water.. this is so confusing..
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
I'm confident that when they tested your urine they ran a sensitivity and found that levaquin was the best antibiotic for this infection. In some cases the symptoms can come and go but after several days of antibiotics now, You should expect to be feeling relief by tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes they did.. the bacteria found was called entrobacter..
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Then you are on the correct antibiotic. Do you feel some what better tonight?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i actually am hving wrse symptoms than before.. i am now buring in my upper area by my urethra and clitoris.. which had subsided.. and my right side back and right abdomen are having discomfort tonight.. i was on bactrim for 4 days and now levaquin for two and nothing feels better.. i felt no pain for the past 2 days till now.. shouldn't i hv some sort of relief by now instead of reoccurant symptoms.. does this sound lilke a cause for concern?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
I think the vaginal area is bothering you because you have developed a yeast infection, which commonly happens from antibiotics. You can purchase some monistat cream, this should stop the vaginal symptoms pretty quickly. Give it another day on the levaquin if you still have pain tomorrow follow up with your Doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not yeast... it bothered when i urinated and now the feeling is still there.. an hour later.. and i hv sharp and full ness pain in my right side and back.. can anything develop quickly w this pain.. blood work sun morning at the hospital came out ok just bacteria in the urine..
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
It's possible that you have a very bad infection, but really the antibiotics should help. You can also buy some AZO over the counter to help with painful urination, this is often used for a UTI and willnot interfere with the antibiotics.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.