Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Hello.... I am a 39 yr old male, weighing 248 lb. 62 in height.

Hello.... I am a 39 yr old male, weighing 248 lb. 6"2 in height. For the past couople of months, I have been experiencing pain in my left heel. I primarily notice it when I wake up first thing in the morning when I get out of bed. It normally takes me about 10 min before I can really walk on it. I also notice it when I get up from a nap or have been sitting in the bed or on the couch for a long period of time. I also have a little pain in my right ankle from time to time, but nothing like the pain that I have in my left heel. What could this be?

Thanks!!!

Have you had any injury to the heel?
Is there any swelling?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No I haven't had any injuries, and it is not swollen.

Thanks

You're welcome!

From the symptoms you are describing, it sounds like you may have something called plantar fasciitis, one of the most common causes of heel pain.

The plantar fascia is a band of fibrous tissue that attaches to the heel and the divides and separates to attach to the toes.

It can become inflamed for reasons that are not well understood. It is thought that prolonged standing, being overweight, flat feet and heel spurs may contribute to the development of the condition.

When you are sitting or sleeping, the band of tissue tightens because your feet are in the relaxed position. Then, when you stand up, the tissue stretches and this causes pain.

Initial treatment begins with anti-inflammatories (aleve or ibuprofen) and icing the foot.

Wearing heel inserts or arch supports may also be helpful for you.

When you first get out of bed in the morning, have a supportive shoe or sandal to step into. Avoid going barefoot.

If these things do not help, steroid injections into the foot are helpful. Thus, a doctor visit would be warranted at that point if the above measures are not working.

Here is some more information for you about the condition.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/1201/p2247.html

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!