Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

I have an irritable bowel/diverticulitis. My G.I. doctor recommended

I have an irritable bowel/diverticulitis. My G.I. doctor recommended Nortriptoline (sp?) to relax my colon muscles because I had diahhrea(sp?) when I was running for exercise. now I do not run anymore so I stopped the Nort. and started takin acidophilus tablets to add bacteria to my colon. Do I need more fiber in my diet to stop the frequent trips to the bathroom? I probably go to the bathroom with a small amount of BM about 3 times a day. I would like to have a complete B. M. once a day like normal. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Since you have both irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis taking fiber supplements would be beneficial.
You can take fiber supplements like metamucil.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That answer is very generic. I read that info also and that does not seem like the answer to stop the frequent trips for a BM. it creates gas for me because I tried

Fibercom about three weeks ago. There has to be a better response to help this irritation.

Hello.

I am going to try to answer your question.

I do not believe adding more fiber to your diet will improve your bowel movements. A lot of fiber can cause a lot of bloating and abdominal cramps.

Nortryptiline is a good medication for the treatment of IBS, you might need to go back on it. There are not too many things that can otherwise help you. Taking a probiotic can sometimes improve symptoms in people who have up to 6-7 bowel movements per day with a lot of gas. I personally recommend a probiotic called "Digestive Advantage".

If you are taking the probiotic and still experiencing bowel movements 3 times per day, again, I would recommend going back to the medicaiton which was controlling your symptoms before especially if it was not causing you any side effects. Stopping running will not have a profound effect on your irritable bowel (as a matter of fact, exercise is recommended for people with IBS).

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any additional clarification. I will be happy to assist.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click the green 'Accept' button so that I can get credit for my work.

Best wishes and happy & healthy new year,

Julia

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Julia,

Thanks very much for your explanation. I feel you are on the right track with me regarding the additional fiber recommendation by someone else.

I will return to the Nortriptoline (sp?) and see what happens. I had no side effects from it so it may be a good recommendation. I ahve an appointment with my G.I. MD in Feb. so I will see what happens then.

Would you plese explain what "Digestive Advantage" is - an over the counter medication?

Thanks again! I will "accept" when I hear back from you with the explanation of the previous question.

Luann Dreifuerst

Dear Luann,

I am glad you found use in my answer.

"Digestive Advantage" is a pro-biotic available over-the-counter. It improves the growth of good bacteria in the gut and decreases inflammation. It is usually helpful with people who have diarrhea predominant IBS. I have had several patients who have had great benefit from this and I have started recommending it. Maybe it will not relieve your symptoms 100% but it can help and the dose of Nortriptyline can be lowered.

Best wishes,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss