Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
4968719

my pediatrician suggested gaviscon 2.5 ml 4x a day for my one

my pediatrician suggested gaviscon 2.5 ml 4x a day for my one month old for gerd. since there is no infant gaviscon is it ok to use the adult liquid
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question.

Infant Gaviscon contains 87.5 mg of magnesium alginate and 21 mg of sodium per dose.

However, regular adult Gaviscon contains 358 mg of magnesium per 5cc. As you can see, it would be difficult to adjust the dose. You'll have to give approximately 1cc, which is too small a volume to reliably get into the infant's stomach.

I would recommend that you use infant gaviscon rather than adult liquid gaviscon.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they do not make infant gaviscon or i cant find it anywhere. is there something else i can use like childrens pepto? my baby is on zantac 3x a day already but is still screaming in pain after he is fed. i have an appointment with a GI doc next tuesday but my baby is in so much pain and neither one of us is getting any sleep. tuesday seems so far away
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 6 years ago.
Another common infant GERD medication is mylanta. The dose is 1.5 cc of regular mylanta up to 3 times a day. Check with your pediatrician to make sure this medication is suitable for your baby.