Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

how can I pass clots if I have no ovaries

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Hello, what is your age ?

When were your ovaries removed and why?

Do you still have a uterus?

Tell me about the bleeding that you are seeing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my age is 42..yes I still have a uterus. My ovaries were removed in 2000 due to ovarian cysts. Pink spotting with cramping like menstruation and passed one small clot.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information. Just a couple of questions... have you been on any birth control or hormone pills?

Do you ever have periods or bleeding?

Are you at your ideal weight or are you heavier?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not on birth control or hormones, have not had periods since my oopherectomy. I am probably not at my "ideal" body weight but am not overweight either. I do have chronic kidney stones and have an infected stone that has not cleared up after several courses of antibiotics. I also have chronic back pain from the stones and chronic infections.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

With an intact uterus then it can still be possible for some bleeding to occur. Although the absence of ovaries means no estrogen from the ovaries, it is possible for the body to produce some peripheral estrogen in adipose tissue. This can lead to thickening of the uterine lining over time.

Ideally you need a ultrasound scan to check the lining of the uterus.

Other possible causes of bleeding from the vagina can include cervical erosion, polyp or vaginal atrophy leading to bleeding from vaginal walls (especially after intercourse)

Another possibility of bleeding that is seen on underwear is that a clot was passed from the bladder, and this might be related to the kidney stones.

Without any hormones then you do need to discuss long term bone protection with your doctor if you have not done this already.