Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I am a 37 year old male and had a question about dizziness

I am a 37 year old male and had a question about dizziness and lightheaded when exercising. I used to be in great shape, running about 6 miles a day. I have not run in about a year and half and have also gained quite a bit of weight. I went for a brisk 20 minute walk today and about half way thru started feeling a little lightheaded. I did not have any shortness of breath or pain just felt very lightheaded. Is this just being out of shape or something more?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.
Any associated headache ,blurred vision?
Any history of hypertension,diabetes?
Associated chest discomfort ,tightness in chest?
BP and pulse ?
Do you feel better at rest?
Are you taking any medication ?
Any other info?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It does feel better with rest. My parents both have high blood pressure but that is it. Everything else is no. No chest pain or tightness and my breathing is fine.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.
As you describe dizziness or light headedness after exercises (walking, running,etc ) may be due to following factors -
Hypotension(fall of blood pressure)
Low blood glucose .
So it is advised to undergo Blood pressure monitoring , blood sugar, S.electrolytes,EKG for further evaluation.
You should drink gatorade as well.
Take multivitamin supplement as well.
Heart rhythm abnormalities may also lead to the attacks of dizziness or faintness.
It may also occur from anxiety or stress.
In some cases there can be feeling of vertigo(dizziness ) from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or labyrinthitis.
So a clinical examination is very essential in your case if there 'll be recurrent episodes of lightheadedness.
I hope this helps.

Edited by Dr Anil Kumar on 1/1/2010 at 5:03 PM EST