Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

total coleterol/hdl and if ldl/hdl and this is in range..liver..muscle

Customer Question

what is the difference when using ldl/hdl ratio and total coleterol/hdl and

if ldl/hdl and this is in range and the other is out of range

whould this be a contadiction

2) if you have a family history of low hdl ie never getting above 35 an you have used 20 then 40 and then tried 60 mg of crestor for over a year and hdl still never gets over 35 are that a mount of 40 and 60 can it make you more suspectale to kidney and liver problems and als to muscle failure

thanks for your answer
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

CHolesterol numbers can be confusing!

REally the difference is in your additional risk factors. It is better to get your HDL above 40 if possible and your LDL under 100 unless you are diabetic then lower than 70. Total cholesterol is not really as important because when you get your HDL/LDL in range than the total will take care of itself.

HDL lets LDL attach to it to help eliminate it. It does it at a 2:1 ratio. So if your HDL is 40 then and LDL of 80 is OK. Does that make sense?

If you are not able to get yours up higher than 35. I probably would not keep increasing the cholesterol med. Crestor is not as bad to cause liver failure and does not seem to be dose dependent. Meaning the higher the dose not necessarily correlate with increase risk. As long as you are getting your labs done at least every 6 months. Then if there was a problem it would be caught early.

Omega 3 is important to cardiac health as well.

WE also know that statins - lipitor, crestor - help to decrease inflammation that can cause heart attacks. THis is usually measured with C-RP levels. So even if your levels of cholesterol is normal, it is now a best practice to take a statin anyway.

I hope this helps and not confused you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this was handed off from two doctors which puzzels me and the answers you gave are common knowledge and does not go to the crux of the problem this do not wish to accept and will check with my 2 brothers doctors say thus i cannot accept
I am sorry that you feel w wasted your time.