Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I am a 59 year old male. Last night my nose started running

I am a 59 year old male. Last night my nose started running like a water hose. then I started sneezing almost constant an have had no sleep. To this point I am still having the same problems.I have gone through three boxes of tissues so far. I do not take over the counter meds due to my high blood pressure which is under control with meds.My left nostral is very sinsitive now. I have no know allergies. Sorry about the spelling
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry you are not feeling well.
Are you having any fever?
Headache?
Cough?
Is the nasal discharge clear?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No fever

No headache

Some cough but that is due to a very bad habit of mine.

Discharge is clear and constantly dripping then the sneezing starts.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

The runny nose/sneezing may be due to a viral illness or some type of allergy. You can develop allergy at any time, unfortunately.

What I would do now is to use over the counter Coricidin HBP (which is for people with high blood pressure). You can also buy any generic product for congestion that contains chlorpheniramine, which is the main ingredient of Coricidin HBP.
It is basically an antihistamine, which should help with the runny nose.

You can also try using a nasal saline spray, such as ocean nasal saline, which is over the counter as well.

If you aren't better on Monday, make sure you see your doctor. If the discharge remains clear, your doctor may prescribe a nasal steroid spray.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!