Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

Went to emergency for Headache and swollen ankle. Blood pressure

Went to emergency for Headache and swollen ankle. Blood pressure was 157/97
Normally runs 107/74, so it was high for me. They gave me intravenous, Dilaudid and released me with pressure at 137/73. It made me sick. That lasted until out of my system (9hrs). They have prescribed Darvocet-n-100mg. What is this prescription for? This morning my press is still high, 162/88. What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Darvocet -- is for pain.

It has two ingredients Propoxyphene and acetaminophen -- both of which are for pain relief. It's considered slightly stronger than Tylenol itself, but not as strong as the dilaudid or hydrocodone/oxycodone medications.

It is not a blood pressure medication.

I assume your doctors felt you were running a higher than normal blood pressure because of the pain (pain increases your blood pressure), and that treating the pain would help your blood pressure.

If you are pain free -- and still are having high blood pressures -- this is something you should discuss with your primary care doctor, since they would want to start you on - or modify your blood pressure medications.