Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

last period..It started off with 3 days of light period then spotting

Customer Question

My last period lasted for 42 days (usual about 31 +/- 1-2 days). It started off with 3 days of light period then spotting on/off. This is very unusual as I usually do not spot. On top of that, there would be some blood after intercourse (very usual also as this does not happen before). Usually I get 2-3 heavy days of period follow up medium to light for then next 3-4 days. Now CD 13, I'm bleeding light again. I have tested negative for pregnancy about 1 week before my period came (the 42 day cycle). Could this be a possible an early miscarriage or hormone disorder? I have PCOS.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Can I clarify:

Your last period started 42 days ago. Your bleeding last for 3 days plus irregular spotting. You also have had bleeding after intercourse.

How did you test for pregnancy?

Do you take any medication?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tested on a pregnancy test kit and i have just tested again which is negative. Yes I did started estrogel on beginning of the 42 days cycle and 2 white tablets which I could'nt remember the name. I have tested for very high prolactin (the figure was 800) and the tablets were suppose to supress the prolactin and progestrone.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Assuming pregnancy has definitely been ruled out by the two negative tests, there are a number of other reasons for late or erratic period.

These include hormone imbalance, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome itself, thyroid problems, stress, being underweight, or being excessively overweight, losing weight very quickly or exercising excessively.

So you can see that there is a number of possible causes, but the link with your PCOS and the medication is the most likely cause. You should also have a smear test to rule out a problem with the cervix if your pap smears are not up to date.

Depending on whether you are looking to achieve a pregnancy at the moment then your doctor will plan your medication depending on this.