Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

one had throw a bag of sand in her head she would itch..her

Customer Question

my daughter is 6 her scalp had a lot of flackleyness all over her head it was very extensive i thought it was some type of dandruff because as you part her hair it would look like some one had throw a bag of sand in her head she would itch really bad to were sometime her scalp would bleed i took her to the doctor because as i would comb through her hair it would just come out on the comb. I asked the doctor the doctor if i could get refered to a skin doctor but she looked at her scalp and said it lookes like ringworm of the scalp. but my question would be can you get this fungus through out the whole head. I was given a medication that she is currently taking the scalp is getting better but her hair is still comming out as i comb throug it and getting shorter aroung the edge. i want to know is this normal or no
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Ringworm is a fungal infection of the scalp and indeed can affect a large area. It has a characteristic appearance and can take at least a couple of weeks to heal. The hair loss is typical and should regrow after the infection is treated.

There is another infection that can affect the scalp but it is unusual in a child of six. This usually improves with ketoconazole shampoo. However you should continue with the selsum and griseofulvin for the rest of the course before making any changes.

Edited by Pauline on 1/1/2010 at 2:48 PM EST