Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My son started to have twitching in his eyebrows and head and

Customer Question

My son started to have twitching in his eyebrows and head and it includes teeth clicking/grinding. He went for a check up recently because he had swollen tonsils. The doctor gave him antibiotics and suggested childrens motrin. (the twitches began before the antibiotics)I have made an appointment to have him checked but until then i would like to have an idea about the possible causes and the conditions which may be occurring. Again, I have made an appointment already but would like to here the possible issues which may be occuring and their causes, symptoms and complications.
Thank you in advance.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
I'm sure that you understand that it is not possible to make a medical diagnosis by internet, however, based on the limited information that is available, one condition does come to mind:

Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections (PANDAS) is a unusual collection of symptoms that can occur in relationship to a Strep infection. Here are some links on this condition. It should be noted that IF this is the cause - his symptoms would be expected to gradual improve after the antibiotics were started.
http://intramural.nimh.nih.gov/pdn/web.htm
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thankyou
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The doctor gave him a strep test, it was negative
The negative strep test does NOT exclude PANDAS. The strep infection may have cleared by the time the test had been done OR the test may have been a false negative since these tests are only 85-90% accurate.