CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I take 4 Lovaza capsules whixh contain 900 mg of omega-3 acid

I take 4 Lovaza capsules whixh contain 900 mg of omega-3 acid daily. My dog takes AllerG3 which contains 1000 mg of omega-3 per capsule. This morning, i was counting out capsules and there were only 3 capusles left which i took. After taling them, I realized I had taken the dog's medicine instead of my own.

In looking at the company's web-site, AllerG3 looks like a vitamin supplement that contains omega-3. I assume, that other than developing an urge to scratch and chase cats, I will survive my error but, to be safe, do I need to do anything special?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. AllerG Contains Vitamin A, D3, E, comprised of Fish Oil, Gelatin, Glycerin, Water, dl-alpha Tocopherol , Vitamin A palmitate, Vitamin D3. If you are taking cod liver oil, for example, which has a very high Vitamin A content, you can overdose....because Vitamin A is toxic is large amounts. Keep in mind it's the Vitamin A that is toxic, not the omega-3 fats. Too much vitamin A in doses of more than 25,000 IUs (five times the RDA) can lead to liver damage, hair loss, blurred vision and headaches. While I can not ascertain the exact about of Vitamin A in the canine formula,You should not have a problem as taking one pill in combination with Lovaza is not expected to produce life threatening symptoms.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, I didn't take the Lovaza today but I did take 3 of the AllerG3 capsules. I think AllerG3 contains 400 IUIUI per capsule.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
This should not be a problem.