Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

My wife, in her 40s, developed a red itchy rash on one arm

My wife, in her 40's, developed a red itchy rash on one arm 3 days ago. Since, the rash has spread all over, her hands and feet are swollen, and she now has joint pain. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 years ago.
As you describe there may be possibility of Hives /angioedema which results in itchy rash and swelling .
It can be caused due to allergic reaction to antibiotics(especially penicillins),foods,stress .
It is advised to undergo a clinical examination by a doctor , Complete Blood Count for further evaluation and management.
In the meantime she should take OTC antihistaminic medication (Benadryl , Cetrizine ) to relieve itching .
Drink plenty of water.
If she develops shortness of breath or symptoms 'll persist then visit ER ASAP .

Edited by Dr Anil Kumar on 1/1/2010 at 1:08 PM EST