Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

Is it safe to fly on a plane when you have a blood clot in

Is it safe to fly on a plane when you have a blood clot in your calf?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.

Greetings,

Do you have blood clot in the calf? When it happened? Are you taking any medicine? Any other symptom? Any past illness? Any test ? Any treatment taken?

Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I have a blood clot now that occurred after a 6-hour flight Dec 25. I am scheduled for the return flight Jan. 2. I have not been to the doctor yet as it requires an emergency visit, so I am trying to avoid that. This is the second time I have had one so I know the symptoms and the treatment. I am simply concerned about worsening the condition by flying again before it has dissolved. I am taking aspirin, elevating my leg and applying warm, wet heat.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Long hours of sitting in flying predispose to clot formation in leg veins as you know. As it has occurred only in the last week, you should not fly again without an assessment by doctor. Sometimes low molecular weight heparin is given instead of aspirin. As you are aware by this time that a few precautions will be helpful like keeping adequate hydration by drinking fluid, exercise the calf muscles, avoiding tight socks, graduated compression stockings is preferable & spending periodic time out of seat & walking to prevent clot formation.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please ask.
Regards.