Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I am currently taking 150mg doryx dr tablets to help control

Customer Question

I am currently taking 150mg doryx dr tablets to help control my acne. the expiration on my current bottle is 1/1/2010. i still have about 20 left that i still want to use. do i have to throw these away and get a refill, or is it safe to use recently expired doryx dr? i read somewhere that expired doryx can lead to kidney damage, is this true?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Expiry dates are present for two reasons, the first is that approximately only 90% active ingredients remain and the second is that the tablets may have deteriorated into other metabolites. Unfortunately some of those metabolites may have serious side effects and we cannot predict those with accuracy.

I would not use the product after the expiry date.

Your pharmacist should have checked that you should have used up the medication before the expiry date occurred (unless you have had these tablets for some considerable period).