Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

My daughter, age 12, is complaining of severe stomach pains

Customer Question

My daughter, age 12, is complaining of severe stomach pains that seem to be worse while lying down and at night. We gave her some Pepto-Bismol about 30 minutes ago. This does not appear to be helping. She had some sort of "bug" the other day, vomiting 16 times. This is not in the same location as the other day and she does not feel like vomiting. Any ideas or suggestions to relieve the pain. She points to the middle of the stomach area for the most severe pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.

How long is she having this pain?

Is there any radiation of pain ?

Any tenderness in abdomen?

How is stool & urine?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has complained of this type of pain on and off for about 3 weeks. We originally thought it might have been caffeine related, but she has not had any caffeine in the past few days. The pain occurs at night, not during the day.

I can't say there is a radiation of pain, but it does seem to come in waves (maybe that's what you mean by radiation?).

There is tenderness in the abdomen, it hurts when you push on it.

She is a little irregular with her stool, but urine is fine.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

The pain in the stomach are likely to be due to reflux or acid peptic disease.

In lying down position, reflux aggravates.

She should sleep with bed end up with some pillow.

Sometimes H pylori infection can be there too which will need specific treatment.

A review by gastroenterologist can be taken.

If he feels an upper G I endoscopy can be taken.

The other source of pain can be pancreas or gall bladder.

As the pain is incapacitating , you should get a consultation soon.

Give frequent small bland , spice free meals .

Do not keep the stomach empty for a long time.

Till you see doctor she can be given nexium or antacid.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have Zantac. Can she take Zantac? Can that substitute for Nexium?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.
Zantac can be given.

Though it is not same as nexium.