Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

My child was exposed to head lice yesterday. If she is infected,

My child was exposed to head lice yesterday. If she is infected, should I be able to see lice/nits already after 1 day? Should I treat her anyway with lice removal shampoo/conditioner as a preventative measure?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.

Head lice has 3 forms egg or nit, baby lice or nymph, adult lice. After 1 week nit usually appears attached to the hair shaft. Nymph develops after 1 week from nit. It is not necessary to take preventive treatment. If you see any sign then you need to treat it.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish her healthy life.
Any query, please ask.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I understand that it is not "necessary" to treat preventatively, however, If I do so, will this eliminate the possibility that she will have any symptoms? Will it do any good - or will it not make any difference?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.
Every medicine has its side effect. In case there is no infestation, she will be exposed to that possibilities.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I understand that there are side effects to every medicine. My daughter basically shared bed pillows with her infected cousin, and I am afraid the lice or nits have very likely been transferred.

If the medicine would work to kill lice/nits that were potentially transferred within one day, then it would be worth it to do it now and not waiting until she shows signs of infestation (and infects her brother, myself and others in the household). If you say that the medicine will not work until she has certain symptoms, that is a different story.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.
If there is any potential transfer, then it should be adult lice. The medicines will be able to kill any adult lice., but the recommendation is to see first any infestation & then use it.