Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

back of my head, I have been itching and

Customer Question

Since July 1, 2009, in my hair line at the back of my head, I have been itching and scratching to the point that I took antibiotics more than several times which did make it improve plus used Zyrtec sometimes twice a day plus Hydroxizins at night and put some kind of steroid solution on them but they are still there. I have talked to my regular doctor about this (an internist), my neurologist, and an allergist, but I still have the problem. I do get my hair (roots) colored about every 6 weeks (we tested the bleach solution which I did not have a reaction to). There is an especially large lump behind my right ear which get bigger the worse these sores get. No doctor seems concerned. Could I have a tumor or cancer or what?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

The large lump behind the ear seems to be due to an enlarged lymph node.

This usually occurs from an inflammation , infection in its draining area.

Rarely it can be from any growth but it will not increase with the increase in soreness.

It appears that it has been enlarged secondary to the sore areas at the hair line.

You need to consult a dermatologist for examination and investigation to get the proper diagnosis.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The answer was to see a dermatologist which I had said I had already done. So I do not feel that this answer gave me any new info. or help. So do not charge my acct.