Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

and the diarhea My stomach felt very tight and bloated..local doctor

Need 2nd opinion from different doctor.

About 1 month ago I had a case of diarhee for about 6 hours straight. After I had this and the diarhea My stomach felt very tight and bloated for the next week or 2.

I went to my local doctor and he said it was a 24 hour virus and that I had irritbal bow after that for 2 weeks. He put me on a liquid diet and crackers for 24 hours and then back to regular food that was bland.

I got back to normal and felt fine for 3 weeks.

Then 7 days ago I woke up in the middle of the night again with diarhea and uncontrollable vomitting for 5 hours straight. I went to the emergency room and they gave me a anti nausea pill and 2 IV bags with a muscle relaxer. They said it could be a virus...or a bacteria infection.

3 days later I didn't feel anybetter so I wen to local ugent care and they gave me antibiotics for what he thought was a bacteria infection.

Its been a week and I am still feeling bloated and tight in my stomach after I eat.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 6 years ago.
Hello.Most diaorrhea and vomiting would be probably due to gasteroenteritis of viral/bacterial origin,secondary to drugs or toxins like Food poisoning,other causes would include systemic diseases,CNS disorders and migraine for cyclical vomiting.Post GE,some elctrolyte imbalance persists,leading to reduced peristalsis and bloating.Increased intake of Potassium and sodium,the easiest method being taking fresh lime ,fresh orange juice will help.The use of prokinetic drugs like Domperidone/Metoclopamide,as also PPIs like Prilosec will help relieve the heaviness and discomfort in the upper abdomen.Antibiotics also disturb the intestinal flora,causing some upset of the bowels.Use of probiotics,or fresh yoghurt will probably helpin that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So do you think that I have a bacteria infection inside my intestins like my doctor says.

And if so, is all of this discomfort "NORMAL" , in other words does it take a while for my stomach to get back to normal?

I ask because I have been babying it with toast, yogurt,Gatorade, fluids , crackers for 7 days now and althought I am better I still have these symptons?

I am just trying to figure out if this is normal after a severe boat of diarhea and vomiting...or do I have a ucer or something more serious?

You probably do not have a active infection as of now.There is bound to be some soreness which will persist for a few days after a attack of acute GasteroEnteritis.Matters will settle down soon.Please go on with what you are doing,you may also take Sucralfate which will correct any gastritis which may be persisting and provide quick relief.You may be having some Acid Pepsin disease which may need to be investigated by a upper GIT endoscopy if your problem persists.You may also need to be tested for H pylori,which also may need to be treated if found positive.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will accept your answer.

Please answer this this most likely anything Serious????? to worry about?

I do not think you have a serious problem.probably a 3 week course with a PPI like prilosec and sucralfate will put matters right.If H pylori is present,it will need to be addressed too.