CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I lost hearing in my left ear as a child when I had the mumps

I lost hearing in my left ear as a child when I had the mumps. The last time I went to a doctor about it was in the 1980s and there was no treatment. Has anything been done in the last 25 years that might help me. I have a lot of trouble hearing when there is background nose - parties, restaurants, etc and am hoping that research has produced a work-around.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.

In your case, there is something called a cochlear implant, used for sensoralneural hearing loss which occurs with the mumps, which is an electronic device that is implanted behind the ear. A cochlear implant directly stimulates the auditory nerve fibers in the ear and has two parts,internal and external.The internal component is a receiver placed under the skin and the external components has a speech processor and a head-set which is worn behind the ear s a transmitter that is held in place over the implanted receiver by a little magnet. I hope this information helps you. please remember to click ACCEPT. Thank you and Happy New Year!

Edited by CamilleRN on 1/1/2010 at 1:44 AM EST